The Environmental Chemistry Laboratory (ECL) provides DTSC and other boards and departments within Cal/EPA with expertise and laboratory capacity in the areas of analytical chemistry and biochemistry. Scientists identify and measure concentrations of toxic chemicals in many different media including air, water, soil, hazardous waste streams, and biological or human tissues. These efforts require application or adaptation of existing procedures or the development of new analytical methods.
The Environmental Chemistry Laboratory provides scientific leadership for DTSC in analytical and environmental chemistry to protect public health and the environment from adverse effects of chemicals
Nationally recognized scientific leadership in the analytical and environmental chemistry of toxic chemicals and their green chemistry alternatives.
- Scientific Integrity
- Workplace Diversity
- Intellectual Honesty
Missions of Current ECL Programmatic Areas
- Using state-of-the-art instrumentation and methods, ECL serves as California's reference laboratory for analysis of toxic chemicals in soils, water, wastes, materials, and products that may cause adverse effects on public health and the environment.
- ECL provides scientific leadership in the analytical and environmental chemistry aspects of green chemistry and technology.
- ECL provides technical support in analytical and environmental chemistry to DTSC Programs at all stages of their projects, in close coordination with the project manager and other project team members, meeting the expected timeframes and data quality objectives.
- ECL carries out broad-scale and focused biomonitoring and environmental monitoring studies, with internal and collaborative work, to produce peer review quality data that results in actions to reduce exposures that may cause adverse effects to public health or the environment. EC targets existing and emerging chemicals that may cause exposure to sensitive populations and ecological receptors.
- ECL provides DTSC and its stakeholders with analytical and environmental chemistry information to provide a scientific foundation for decision-making processes in protecting public health and the environment from adverse effects of chemicals. ECL proactively identifies, assesses, and generates data on existing and emerging chemicals of concern in California.
- ECL supplies analytical and environmental chemistry data and technical information to support the environmentally responsible use and management of chemicals in California, linking potential sources from sites, wastestreams, products, and materials, with exposure levels and trends, with exposure pathways, and with assessments of the effectiveness of regulatory, pollution prevention, and other chemical exposure intervention efforts.
- ECL provides mobile laboratory and field instrumental capabilities extending advanced methodologies into the field to support emergency response and field program projects with timely, accurate data and information.