Hazardous Waste ID Number Verification Questionnaire

Anyone who generates, transports, offers for transport, treats, stores, or disposes of hazardous waste must have a hazardous waste identification (ID) number, which is used to identify the hazardous waste handler and track the hazardous waste from the point of origin to its final disposal ("cradle to grave").

Hazardous waste handlers are required to verify their hazardous waste ID number information per Health & Safety Code section 25205.16.  In addition, hazardous waste handlers who have 50 or more employees are required to pay an annual ID number verification fee levied on a sliding scale based on the number of employees.  Hazardous waste generators are also required to pay a fee of $7.50 for each hazardous waste manifest they use (Health and Safety Code section 25205.15), except that, for those generators with less than 100 employees, the first four manifests used in the calendar year are free.  Manifests used solely for recycled waste are exempt.  The fee for manifests used solely for hazardous waste derived from air compliant solvents is $3.50.

Any generator, transporter, or facility operator who fails to provide information required by the department to verify the accuracy of hazardous waste activity data shall be subject to suspension of any and all identification numbers assigned and to any other enforcement action (Health & Safety Code section 25205.16(c)).

ID Number Verification Questionnaire

No more paper returns!  DTSC has transitioned to an online reporting system for the annual Verification Questionnaire and hazardous waste manifest fees assessment.  The electronic Verification Questionnaire (eVQ) offers a fast and convenient process for verifying your ID number information and calculating your ID verification and hazardous waste manifest fees.

Access to the 2016 Verification Questionnaire will be available in July 2016.  We will send an email notification to the email address listed in the eVQ account when access in available. If you do not have an electronic Verification Questionnaire (eVQ) account, please visit the eVQ Home Page  to request a new eVQ account.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q.   How do I register to file online?

A.   Go to the eVQ Home Page and select the "Request New eVQ Account" link.  When the new screen appears, enter your hazardous waste ID number.  Please make sure that you enter the complete ID number with the CAL, CAR, CAD or CAC prefix, and no space between the prefix and numbers.  Information from the Hazardous Waste Tracking System will pre-populate the fields.  You will then create a login name and password, and enter your email address in the boxes provided. Review the information in all the fields and update if necessary. Fields with an asterisk* are required fields. After you have successfully registered an account, you will receive a confirmation email.  Please add eVQ@dtsc.ca.gov to your list of "safe" or "trusted" senders to ensure that you receive notifications. 

Q.   I entered my ID number to register, but received the message "Error: EPA ID Number is assigned to another eVQ account." What should I do?

A.   First, check to see if you have already created an eVQ account in the past.  Go back to the eVQ Home page and select "Forgot user name/password?", and then enter your email address. You will receive an email notification if you already have an eVQ account.  If you are the new contact for an existing eVQ account, please email eVQ@dtsc.ca.gov to request an update to the contact information.  Please make sure you include your hazardous waste ID number in the email.

Q.   I have multiple hazardous waste ID numbers.  Do I need a separate eVQ account for each ID number?

A.   You may have multiple hazardous waste ID numbers in an eVQ account if they are all under the same federal tax ID number (FEIN) and owner.  If your ID numbers have different FEIN numbers, you must create a separate account for each FEIN.  Each account must have a unique login name, but you may use the same email address in each account.

Q.  What is an FEIN Number?

A.  A Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN), also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, is used to identify a business entity. Generally, businesses need an FEIN. For detailed information on FEIN Numbers, go to the IRS website.  If you do not have an FEIN, leave this field blank.

Q.  After entering the information to create my account, I clicked on the "Submit eVQ Account Request" button and nothing happened.  What should I do now?

 A.  Scroll up on the page.  If you have left off information or made an incorrect entry, you will see an error message in red font.

Q.  How do I reactivate an inactive hazardous waste ID number or obtain a new hazardous waste ID number?

 A.  Visit the Permanent Hazardous Waste ID Numbers web page to obtain the ID number application.