Managing Hazardous Waste

We strengthen regulations and streamline waste management

Hazardous Waste Emergency EPA ID Numbers

Hazardous Waste Emergency EPA identification (ID) numbers are issued for emergencies involving hazardous waste, such as a spill or a clandestine lab cleanup. These ID numbers are generally only given to government agencies or their contractors.

There are two categories of emergency ID numbers issued:

Emergency federal EPA ID numbers are used for 100 kg or more of RCRA hazardous waste, and/or 1 kg or more of acutely hazardous waste.

Emergency State EPA ID numbers are issued for all other hazardous waste.

To obtain an emergency ID number please call one of the following numbers:

Normal Business Hours (Monday – Friday 9 am – 4 pm). Please call DTSC at (800) 618-6942 if calling from within the U.S.

After Hours. Please call the California Office of Emergency Services (OES) at (800) 852-7550 and request to speak to a DTSC Emergency Response Duty Officer (ERDO).