Proven Technologies & Remedies Documents
The Proven Technologies and Remedies (PT&R) documents are designed to use DTSC’s experience at hundreds of cleanup sites to help streamline remedy selection and site cleanup, while ensuring full protection of public health, safety and the environment without diminishing public input. PT&R documents are intended to be one of many options that may be used in the cleanup process and are not necessarily applicable to every site.
Remediation of Metals in Soil
Presents an option for expediting and encouraging cleanup of sites with elevated concentrations of metals in soil. Applicable on a case-by-case basis to operating and closing hazardous waste facilities and Brownfields sites. Streamlines the cleanup process by: limiting the site-specific remedy evaluation to excavation/disposal and containment/capping; providing guidance for establishing background concentrations, screening levels, and cleanup goals; and providing resources that facilitate remedy implementation, documentation, and administrative processes.
Provides a framework that guides the reader through the decision process for 1) determining if mitigation is appropriate for the project site, 2) selecting a mitigation system that is protective of human health, and 3) ensuring that implementation is sustainable for the duration of mitigation. Emphasizes public participation and implementation considerations. Identifies likely technologies for vapor intrusion mitigation, but does not identify proven technologies. See related documents on our Vapor Intrusion web page.
Presents an option for expediting and encouraging cleanup of sites with organochlorine pesticides (OCPs) in soil. Analogous to Remediation of Metals in Soil. Site-specific remedy evaluation is limited to excavation/disposal and containment/capping.
Presents an option for expediting and encouraging cleanup of sites with chlorinated volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in vadose zone soil. Analogous to Remediation of Metals in Soil, except that site-specific remedy evaluation is limited to excavation/disposal and soil vapor extraction (SVE).
Addresses the overall cleanup process for various types of plating facilities, including permit-by-rule plating facilities. Recommends an approach for establishing screening levels and cleanup goals. Identifies proven technologies for cleanup of metals and VOCs in soil and likely technologies for cleanup of hexavalent chromium and VOCs in groundwater. Provides resources that facilitate the cleanup process.
- Appendix A1. Conceptual Site Model (14 pages)
- Appendix A2. Characterization Phase Workplan (20 pages)
- Appendix A3. Annotated Outline for Site Characterization Report (9 pages)
- Appendix C1. Supporting Documentation for DTSC Technology Screening (14 pages)
- Appendix C2. Remedial Action Plan Sample (46 pages)
- Appendix C3. Removal Action Workplan Sample (35 pages)
- Appendix C4. Scope of Work for Corrective Measures Study (26 pages)
- Appendix C5. Scope of Work for Interim Measures (9 pages)
- Appendix C6. Example for Statement of Basis (18 pages)
- Appendix C7. Example for Bridging Memorandum (7 pages)
- Appendix D1. Excavation, Disposal, and Restoration Plan Sample (17 pages)
- Appendix D2. Transportation Plan (8 pages)
- Appendix D3. Soil Confirmation Sampling Plan (7 pages)
- Appendix D4. Example Post-Cleanup Evaluation for Lead (3 pages)
- Appendix D5. Annotated Outline for Excavation Completion Report (6 pages)
- Appendix E1. Annotated Outline for Containment/Capping Design and Implementation Plan (8 pages)
- Appendix E2. Operation and Maintenance Plan Sample (30 pages)
- Appendix E3. Annotated Outline for Containment/Capping Completion Report (7 pages)
- Appendix F1. Fact Sheet Sample (9 pages)
- Appendix F2. Public Participation Sample Documents (25 pages)