Toxicity Criteria for Human Health Risk Assessment
DTSC Reference Number: R-2016-08
OAL Reference Number: 2018-0723-01
OAL Approval Date: 09/04/18
Secretary of State Filing Date: 09/04/18
Effective Date: 09/04/18
THE TOXICITY CRITERIA FOR HUMAN HEALTH RISK ASSESSMENT REGULATION WAS APPROVED BY THE OFFICE OF ADMINISTRATIVE LAW (OAL) AND FILED WITH THE SECRETARY OF STATE ON SEPTEMBER 4, 2018. THIS REGULATION WENT INTO EFFECT UPON FILING.
The following documents are part of the official rulemaking file:
- Form 400
- Final Regulation Text
- Initial Statement of Reasons (ISOR)
- Updated Informative Digest
- Final Statement of Reasons (FSOR)
- FSOR Attachment 1
- FSOR Attachment 2
- Notice of Exemption (CEQA)
- STD 399
- STD 399 Attachment
- Notice of Approval (from OAL)
Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to send an email to email@example.com or call the Project Manager for this rulemaking file, Kevin Depies at 916-255-6547. If Mr. Depies is unavailable, call the Regulations Coordinator, Jackie Buttle, at 916-324-8286.
DTSC hosted two informal informal public workshops to explain the proposed rule, and had informal discussions with as well as solicited preliminary input by the public on the proposed rule. The first workshop was held on August 28, 2017 from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM at 8800 Cal Center Drive, Sacramento, CA, 95826 in the Board Room.
The second workshop was held on August 31, 2017 from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM at 5796 Corporate Avenue, Cypress, California 90630 in the “All-Staff Room.”
DTSC held a formal APA public hearing on September 20, 2017 from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM at 8800 Cal Center Drive, Sacramento, California 95826 in the Board Room.
Listen to the audio recording of this meeting.
A written transcript of this audio recording can be made available upon request. Email the request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CURRENT Related Documents & Links
During the 15-day public comment period, DTSC welcomes comments and questions pertaining to the modified draft proposed regulation and STD 399; the following documents are available for the 15-day public comment period review, which include the comments received from the 45-day comment period, along with DTSC’s responses to those comments:
(The original public notice for the 15-day comment period incorrectly stated that text deleted from the draft proposed regulation is identified with a “double-strikethrough” in the revised draft proposed regulation text. However, the notice should have instead stated that the text deleted from the draft proposed regulation is identified with a “single-strikethrough” in the revised draft proposed regulation text. The corrected public notice for the 15-day comment period is available below)
- Revised 15-Day Public Comment Period Notice of Proposed Action
- Revised Draft Proposed Regulation Text
- Appendix I to the Revised Draft Proposed Regulation Text
- Comments on the Draft Proposed Text
- Draft Responses to Comments on the Draft Proposed Text
- Index to the Draft Responses to Comments on the Draft Proposed Text
- Revised Economic and Fiscal Impact Statement (STD 399)
- Attachment to the Revised Economic and Fiscal Impact Statement (STD 399)
Other Supporting Documents
Supporting Documents for Analytes Listed in Appendix I of the Proposed Regulations
- Ammonia, Boron Trifluoride, Hydrochloric acid,1,1,1-Trichloroethane
- Arsenic and Arsine
- Benzidine, Bis(2-Chloroethyl)ether, Cadmium, 3,3′-Dichlorobenzidine, 1,4-Dioxane, HCH(Mixed Isomers), Hexachlorobenzene, N-Nitroso-di-n-butylamine, and 2,4,6-Trichlorophenol
- Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons
- Beryllium and compounds
- Carbon Tetrachloride
- Carbonyl Sulfide
- Chromium VI
- 1,1 Dichloroethylene, Toluene, and Epichlorohydrin
- 1,3-Dichloropropene (cis- and trans-)
- Ethylene Dibromide
- Formaldehyde, Manganese, Mercury, and Mercuric Chloride
- Hexachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin mixture
- Lead and compounds
- Lead Subacetate, 4,4’Methylene-bis(2-chloroaniline), Mirex, 1-Naphthylamine, o-Toluidine
- Methylene Chloride
- Methylene diphenyl diisocyanate and Polymeric MDI
- Nickel and Nickel Compounds
- Toluene 2,4 2,6-Diisocyanates
- Toxaphene 29. Vinyl Chloride
Important Historical Documents and Information
In response to several requests from the public, the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) has decided to extend the deadline for public comments on the pre‐rulemaking draft regulation – Toxicity Criteria for Human Health Risk Assessments and Cleanup Decisions. DTSC has decided to push the deadline back to Tuesday, January 31, 2017.
The proposed rulemaking on the toxicity criteria for human health risk‐based screening levels, action levels, and remediation goals would add a new chapter to the California Code of Regulations, Title 22, Division 4.5, Environmental Health Standards for the Management of Hazardous Waste.
- Pre-Rulemaking Workshop PowerPoint Slides
- DTSC Public Notice for EXTENSION of informal comment period