Proposed Priority Product: Carpets and Rugs with Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFASs)
DTSC is concerned about the hazard traits of PFASs and their widespread presence in the environment, humans, and other living organisms. Carpets and rugs treated with PFASs for stain- or soil-resistance are potential long-term sources of widespread human and ecological exposures to this class of chemicals. In February 2018, DTSC released a Product-Chemical Profile for carpets and rugs with PFASs, outlining the scientific basis for proposing to list this product-chemical combination as a Priority Product under the Safer Consumer Product Regulations.
Announcement: Extension of 45-Day Comment Period and Postponement of Hearing
On February 28, 2020, notice was given that that the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) proposes to adopt regulations listing Carpets and Rugs Containing Perfluoroalkyl or Polyfluoroalkyl Substances as a Priority Product. Due to the threat of COVID-19, the public hearing originally scheduled for April 13, 2020, shall be postponed to May 15, 2020, and conducted remotely using a teleconference line. The comment period for these proposed regulations also will be extended through the date of the virtual hearing.
For details and to see the extension announcement that was mailed out on April 30, 2020, click here.
Public Comment Period
A Regulatory Proposal: The 45- Day Comment Period for PFASs in Carpets and Rugs was extended to May 15, 2020. To view comments related to this topic, please visit CalSAFER.
On May 15, 2020, DTSC held a public hearing to receive comments on the proposal to adopt regulations listing Carpets and Rugs Containing Perfluoroalkyl or Polyfluoroalkyl Substances as a Priority Product.
Due to the threat of COVID-19, the public hearing for this regulation, originally scheduled for April 13, 2020, was postponed and conducted as a virtual hearing on May 15, 2020, beginning at 9 a.m. The public accessed the public hearing via teleconference. The comment period for these proposed regulations was also extended to May 15, 2020.
- Transcript (will be posted shortly)
Related Documents & Links
SCP Priority Products
- Children's Foam-Padded Sleeping Products with TDCPP or TCEP Effective as of 7/1/17
- Spray Polyurethane Foam with Unreacted MDI Effective as of 7/1/18
- Paint or Varnish Paint Strippers Containing Methylene Chloride Effective as of 1/1/19
- Carpets and Rugs with Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFASs)
- *Laundry Detergents Containing the Surfactants Nonylphenol Ethoxylates (NPEs)
- *Paint and Varnish Strippers and Graffiti Removers Containing N-Methylpyrrolidone
- *Nail Products Containing Toluene
- *Treatments Containing PFASs for Use on Converted Textiles or Leathers
- *Nail Products Containing Methyl Methacrylate *Pre-regulatory Priority Products