Proposed Priority Product: Carpets and Rugs with Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFASs)
DTSC is concerned about the hazard traits of PFASs and their widespread presence in the environment, humans, and other living organisms. Carpets and rugs treated with PFASs for stain- or soil-resistance are potential long-term sources of widespread human and ecological exposures to this class of chemicals. In February 2018, DTSC released a Product-Chemical Profile for carpets and rugs with PFASs, outlining the scientific basis for proposing to list this product-chemical combination as a Priority Product under the Safer Consumer Product Regulations.
Public Comment Period
A Regulatory Proposal: 45- Day Comment Period for PFASs in Carpets and Rugs is now open for commenting on CalSAFER. The comment period is open from February 28, 2020 and closes on April 13, 2020.
Click here to view the comments received online via CalSAFER for the proposal to list Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFASs) in Carpets and Rugs as a Priority Product
DTSC held a public hearing on March 20, 2018, at the CalEPA Building on 1001 “I” Street, Sacramento, California. DTSC staff provided an overview of the proposal and accepted public comment.
Below are downloads related to this workshop:
Related Documents & Links
SCP Priority Products
- Children's Foam-Padded Sleeping Products with TDCPP or TCEP Effective as of 7/1/17
- Spray Polyurethane Foam with Unreacted MDI Effective as of 7/1/18
- Paint or Varnish Paint Strippers Containing Methylene Chloride Effective as of 1/1/19
- Carpets and Rugs with Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFASs)
- *Laundry Detergents Containing the Surfactants Nonylphenol Ethoxylates (NPEs)
- *Paint and Varnish Strippers and Graffiti Removers Containing N-Methylpyrrolidone
- *Nail Products Containing Toluene
- *Treatments Containing PFASs for Use on Converted Textiles or Leathers
- *Nail Products Containing Methyl Methacrylate *Pre-regulatory Priority Products