Proposed Priority Product: Nail Products Containing Toluene
DTSC proposes to list nail products containing toluene as a Priority Product with a Chemical of Concern. DTSC has developed a draft technical document, the Product-Chemical Profile on Nail Products containing Toluene, to explain the scientific, regulatory, and policy bases for the proposal. A public workshop is scheduled for March 13, 2019, to discuss and receive public input on the draft product-chemical profile. DTSC will also share information on its previous and ongoing investigations on the presence of other Candidate Chemicals in nail products.
Toluene is a volatile solvent in some nail products that is released from products into air and can be inhaled. Dermal and oral exposure to toluene from nail products can also occur. Toluene has been detected in a range of nail products, as well as in indoor air in nail salons and in the breathing zones of nail salon workers. Toluene exposure has been linked to health effects including adverse nervous system effects, respiratory tract effects, and developmental toxicity.
Public Comment Period
To view comments related materials regarding this proposal, please visit the CalSAFER site. Input from the workshop and public comment period will be taken into consideration as the Department finalizes the Product-Chemical Profile in preparation for rulemaking.
At the workshop, DTSC discussed ongoing research on other Candidate Chemicals that may be found in nail products, including:
- Candidate Chemicals we are actively researching;
- Candidate Chemicals that we believe are either no longer used in nail products or that may not have significant/widespread adverse impacts;
- Candidate Chemicals recently identified in nail products through new market and formulation data, for which we are now initiating research; and
- Future data-gathering efforts on chemicals in nail products, including lab testing and data call-ins.
The workshop was held in Sacramento and via webcast on March 13, 2019, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) or until there was no further public comments (whichever came first).
Below are downloads related to this workshop:
SCP Priority Products
- Children's Foam-Padded Sleeping Products with TDCPP or TCEP Effective as of 7/1/17
- Spray Polyurethane Foam with Unreacted MDI Effective as of 7/1/18
- Paint or Varnish Paint Strippers Containing Methylene Chloride Effective as of 1/1/19
- Carpets and Rugs with Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFASs)
- *Laundry Detergents Containing the Surfactants Nonylphenol Ethoxylates (NPEs)
- *Paint and Varnish Strippers and Graffiti Removers Containing N-Methylpyrrolidone
- *Nail Products Containing Toluene
- *Treatments Containing PFASs for Use on Converted Textiles or Leathers
- *Nail Products Containing Methyl Methacrylate *Pre-regulatory Priority Products