Proposed Priority Product: Laundry Detergents Containing Nonylphenol Ethoxylates (NPEs)
DTSC proposes to list nonylphenol ethoxylates (NPEs) in laundry detergent as a Priority Product. DTSC is concerned about the hazard traits of NPEs and their degradation products. Laundry detergents with NPEs are sources of exposure to the environment and aquatic organisms. In May 2018, DTSC released a Product-Chemical Profile for NPEs in laundry detergent, outlining the scientific basis for proposing to list this product-chemical combination as a Priority Product under the Safer Consumer Product Regulations.
Public Comment Period
To view comments and related materials regarding this proposal, please visit the CalSAFER site. Input from the workshop and public comment period will be taken into consideration as the Department finalizes the Product-Chemical Profile in preparation for rulemaking.
DTSC held a public workshop on June 11, 2018, at the CalEPA Building on 1001 “I” Street, Sacramento, California. DTSC staff provided an overview of the proposal and accepted comments from the public.
Below are downloads related to this workshop:
DTSC first solicited expert and stakeholder feedback at the January 11, 2017 and February 8, 2017 public meetings. Feedback from this event and public comment period informed the development of the Product-Chemical Profile.
SCP Priority Products
- Children's Foam-Padded Sleeping Products with TDCPP or TCEP Effective as of 7/1/17
- Spray Polyurethane Foam with Unreacted MDI Effective as of 7/1/18
- Paint or Varnish Paint Strippers Containing Methylene Chloride Effective as of 1/1/19
- Carpets and Rugs with Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFASs)
- *Laundry Detergents Containing the Surfactants Nonylphenol Ethoxylates (NPEs)
- *Paint and Varnish Strippers and Graffiti Removers Containing N-Methylpyrrolidone
- *Nail Products Containing Toluene
- *Treatments Containing PFASs for Use on Converted Textiles or Leathers
- *Nail Products Containing Methyl Methacrylate
- *Food Packaging Containing PFASs
- *Motor Vehicle Tires Containing Zinc *Pre-regulatory Priority Products