Proposed Priority Product: Paint and Varnish Strippers and Graffiti Removers Containing N-Methylpyrrolidone
DTSC proposes to list Paint and Varnish Strippers and Graffiti Removers Containing N-Methylpyrrolidone (NMP) as a Priority Product. Workers and consumers can be exposed to NMP during normal use of paint or varnish strippers. Exposure to NMP is associated with adverse health effects, including developmental toxicity, central nervous system depression, and skin and eye irritation. Women, children, and women of child-bearing age may be especially susceptible to NMP’s developmental effects.
DTSC published a Product-Chemical Profile for Paint and Varnish Strippers and Graffiti Removers Containing NMP outlining the scientific basis for proposing to list this product-chemical combination as a Priority Product under the Safer Consumer Product Regulations.
Public Comment Period
DTSC held a public comment period for the draft profile. The comment period was open from August 28, 2018 until October 1, 2018. The comments received can be viewed on the CalSAFER site. Input from the workshop and public comment period will be taken into consideration as the Department finalizes the Product-Chemical Profile in preparation for rulemaking.
DTSC held a public workshop regarding the draft technical profile on September 18, 2018. Below are downloads related to this workshop:
SCP Priority Products
- Children's Foam-Padded Sleeping Products with TDCPP or TCEP Effective as of 7/1/17
- Spray Polyurethane Foam with Unreacted MDI Effective as of 7/1/18
- Paint or Varnish Paint Strippers Containing Methylene Chloride Effective as of 1/1/19
- Carpets and Rugs with Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFASs)
- *Laundry Detergents Containing the Surfactants Nonylphenol Ethoxylates (NPEs)
- *Paint and Varnish Strippers and Graffiti Removers Containing N-Methylpyrrolidone
- *Nail Products Containing Toluene
- *Treatments Containing PFASs for Use on Converted Textiles or Leathers
- *Nail Products Containing Methyl Methacrylate
- *Food Packaging Containing PFASs *Pre-regulatory Priority Products