Managing Hazardous Waste

We strengthen regulations and streamline waste management

The Standardized Permit for Building Owners of Jewelry Marts Fact Sheet

January 2002*

What is a Standardized Permit?

A Standardized Permit allows a business to treat1 and store the hazardous waste that it generates, or the hazardous waste generated by other businesses. A Standardized Permit is available only for hazardous waste management activities that do not require a federal hazardous waste permit. The Standardized Permit does not authorize a business to transport hazardous waste. If you transport your hazardous waste to a permitted hazardous waste treatment facility, you must either be or use a registered hazardous waste transporter to transport the waste. There are different levels, or series, of the Standardized Permit available, and a business will be placed into one of these series according to how much hazardous waste the business wants to manage. In California, only the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) can issue Standardized Permits.

Do I Need a Standardized Permit?

Any person or business that wants to store and treat hazardous waste that is generated by others, or that wants to store and treat waste at a location that is different than where the waste was generated, must get a permit or grant of authorization from DTSC2. If you own or manage a building with tenants in jewelry manufacturing businesses, and you want to store and treat their hazardous waste, you must have a Standardized Permit issued by DTSC.

How do I Apply for a Standardized Permit?

Contact the DTSC Standardized Permits and Corrective Action Branch (SPCAB) at (510) 540-3975 to request an application package for a Standardized Permit. SPCAB will assign a permit writer to assist you in completing the application for a Standardized Permit. Submit completed Standardized Permit applications to SPCAB in the DTSC Berkeley office at 700 Heinz Avenue, Suite 200, Berkeley, California 94710. It is highly recommended that you contact DTSC and request a pre-application meeting before submitting your application.

What Do I Have to Do to Apply for a Standardized Permit?

There are many requirements for obtaining a Standardized Permit3. Some of the important requirements include:

  • Obtain an EPA Facility Identification Number from DTSC (please see the DTSC fact sheet on “Hazardous Waste Generator Requirements for Jewelry Mart Operators“)4.
  • Describe your hazardous waste treatment and storage methods.
  • Prepare a community profile.
  • Prepare a closure plan with cost estimate5.
  • Be prepared to provide financial assurance before operating6.
  • Complete Phase I Environmental Assessment7.
  • Develop a waste analysis plan8.
  • Provide design for secondary tank containment9.
  • Provide design for tanks and prepare to provide certification of tank integrity before operating10.
  • Comply with the requirements of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), including the public comment and review period for all environmental documents11.
  • Comply with the Tanner public notification and siting requirements for offsite Standardized Permit facilities12.

What are the Requirements for Operating under a Standardized Permit?

A facility operating under a Standardized Permit must have the following in place3:

  • Adequate financial assurance must be provided before operating5.
  • Communication devices at the facility13.
  • A contingency plan for responding to emergency situations14.
  • A personnel training plan15.
  • A security system to control entry to any area where hazardous waste is managed16.
  • A facility inspection schedule to ensure that any problems that arise with hazardous waste management are identified and fixed quickly17.
  • Facility management practices.
  • Appropriate permits from other agencies.
  • Secondary containment for tanks9.
  • Certification of Integrity of tanks10.
  • Manifest requirements18.

What Records do I Need to Keep if I Operate under a Standardized Permit?

The following are some of the records that you must keep if you operate a facility under a Standardized Permit19:

  • Descriptions of all hazardous wastes you received and the treatment provided.
  • Who generated the waste.
  • The volume of waste received.
  • Waste analysis results for hazardous waste received.
  • Contingency plan reports.
  • Facility inspection reports.
  • Closure cost estimates.
  • The location of all waste storage and treatment areas in the facility.
  • Copies of the standardized permit and approved operation plan.
  • Copies of all manifests for hazardous waste received by your facility.

The requirements for operating under a Standardized Permit are very stringent. Any waste transferred to a treatment facility operating under a Standardized Permit must be transported by a DTSC-registered hazardous waste transporter using a hazardous waste manifest. The treatment facility must keep detailed records of who generated the waste, and how much waste is received from each generator. In addition, treatment facilities operating under a Standardized Permit must have a detailed written waste analysis plan for all hazardous waste stored and treated by the facility, and must be able to demonstrate that all waste received by the facility is in compliance with the waste analysis plan. Based on these requirements, a common plumbing system used to transfer waste from the tenants of a building to a waste treatment unit owned and operated by the owner of the building, may not meet the standards for a Standardized Treatment permit.

Is there a Fee for the Standardized Permit?

Yes. The cost of processing the Standardized Permit varies depending on the level, or series, of Standardized Permit that you qualify for. Currently, it ranges from $5,925 to $35,614. In addition, each facility must pay an annual fee to the Board of Equalization; the amount of the annual fee also varies depending on the series of Standardized Permit that you are qualified for. Currently, it ranges from $2,308 to $11,730. The fee is adjusted annually.

For additional information, please contact the DTSC Standardized Permits and Corrective Action Branch at (510) 5403975, and refer to the DTSC fact sheets “Hazardous Waste Facility Permits” and “Standardized Permit Tier for Hazardous Waste Treatment/Storage Facilities.” 

More Information & Contacts

For more information and questions, please direct them to our Regulatory Assistance Officers using the information below. If calling from outside California, please call the “Outside CA” telephone number provided:

Toll-Free in CA: 800-728-6942 or 800 72-TOXIC
Outside CA: 916-324-2439

For assistance or additional information, please contact the DTSC Office nearest you. For a list of all offices, go to our Office Address and Phone Numbers web page.


1“Treatment” is any method, technique, or process which is designed to change the physical, chemical, or biological character or composition of any hazardous waste or any material contained therein, or removes or reduces its harmful properties or characteristics for any purpose, including, but not limited to, energy recovery, material recovery, or reduction in volume. (Health & Saf. Code, § 25123.5 and Cal. Code Regs., tit. 22, § 66260.10.)

2Health & Saf. Code, div. 20, ch. 6.5, art. 9.

3Health & Saf. Code § 25201.6, and Cal. Code Regs., tit. 22, div. 4.5, ch. 14.

4Cal. Code Regs., tit. 22, § 66264.11.

5Cal. Code Regs., tit. 22, ch. 14, arts. 7 and 8.

6Cal. Code Regs., tit. 22, § 66264.143.

7Health & Saf. Code § 25201.6, subd. (i)(1).

8Cal. Code Regs., tit. 22, § 66264.13.

9Cal. Code Regs., tit. 22, § 66264.193.

10Cal. Code Regs., tit. 22, § 66264.191.

11Pub. Resources Code § 21000 et seq.

12Health & Saf. Code, div. 20, ch. 6.5, art. 8.7.

13Cal. Code Regs., tit. 22, § 66264.32.

14Cal. Code Regs., tit. 22, div. 4.5, ch. 14, art. 4.

15Cal. Code Regs., tit. 22, § 66264.16.

16Cal. Code Regs., tit. 22, § 66264.14.

176Cal. Code Regs., tit. 22, § 66264.15.

18Health & Saf. Code § 25160, and Cal. Code Regs., tit. 22, div. 4.5, ch. 14, art. 5.

19Cal. Code Regs., tit. 22, § 66264.73.


This fact sheet does not replace or supersede relevant statutes and regulations. The information contained in this fact sheet is based upon the statutes and regulations in effect as of the date of the fact sheet. Interested parties should keep apprised of subsequent changes to relevant statutes and regulations.