Household Hazardous Waste
Many common household products are hazardous. If these products are handled or disposed of incorrectly, they can pose a threat to human health, animals and the environment. When these products are discarded, they become “household hazardous waste.” In California, it is illegal to dispose of household hazardous waste in the trash, down the drain, or by abandonment. Household hazardous waste needs to be disposed of through a Household Hazardous Waste Program.
Information for the Public
- See a listing of Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facilities sorted by city
- What are Household Hazardous Wastes and where do you take them?
- Learn about environmental health concerns and toxic chemicals where you live, work and play through “Tox Town” from the U.S. Nati../Haz_Wastes_Home.cfm.htmlonal Library of Medicine.
- Alternatives and other resources:
Local Agencies and Contractors
A public agency that plans to collect e-waste at an HHW collection facility or temporary event must notify DTSC 30 days in advance at our Universal Waste Electronic Devices Online System for Notification and Reporting Requirements.
submit an annual report covering its activities during prior calendar year. The agency must also complete and submit an annual Form 303 (A or B based on your jurisdiction).
Many cities and counties have developed programs to collect, recycle or properly dispose of household hazardous waste. They may also collect hazardous waste generated by small businesses that are exempt from regular hazardous waste management requirements. DTSC is the state agency that is responsible for ensuring the safe and responsible management of household hazardous waste. At a local level the management of household hazardous waste is overseen by Certified Unified Program Agencies (CUPAs).
Hazardous Waste Links
- Hazardous Waste Home
- Certified Appliance Recycler (CAR) Program
- Electronic Waste
- Facilities (TSDFs)
- Hazardous Waste ID Numbers
- Hazardous Waste Manifests
- Hazardous Waste Tracking System
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Universal Waste
- Form 1358
- California Hazardous Waste Codes
Hazardous Waste Related Links
- Annual/Biennial Reports
- Emergency Response Program
- Export-Import Standards
- Fact Sheets & Publications
- Find a Registered Hazardous Waste Transporter
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Hazardous Waste Policies & Procedures
- Hazardous Waste Project Documents
- Kettleman Hills Landfill
- Office of Criminal Investigations
- Regulatory Assistance Office
- Report an Environmental Concern
- Retail Waste