Managing Hazardous Waste

We strengthen regulations and streamline waste management

Universal Waste Handler/Recycler

Universal wastes are hazardous wastes generated by a variety of people that may not be discarded in the trash. These wastes include, but are not limited to batteries, fluorescent tubes, some electronic devices, and mercury containing devices.

Additional Documents to Assist Generators, Handlers, and Recyclers

To notify as a handler or handler/recycler of UWEDS and CRTs online, go to our online notification and reporting page to file your reports.

  • Review the Fact Sheet for Managing Universal Waste
  • Read Chapter 23 of Title 22 for Managing Universal Wastes
  • Or review entire Title 22 for all requirements including the proper management of Hazardous Wastes.
  • Do you have questions regarding Hazardous Wastes? Go to the Hazardous Waste web page.
  • Don’t like reading Regulations? Try reviewing our table summary to answer some of your questions.

Fluorescent Lamps and Tubes

Broken lamps can release mercury to the air and water. Recycle or bring them to a household hazardous waste collection facility and keep them out of the trash. This includes fluorescent tubes, compact fluorescent lamps, metals halide lamps and sodium vapor lamps.

Beginning January 1st of 2010, California will restrict the sale of general purpose lights by any person, including a manufacturer, retailer, distributor and online seller, if those lights contain certain hazardous substances above specific concentration limits. Get more information here.

Aerosol Cans

Most aerosol cans use a hydrocarbon propellant, which is very flammable. Non-empty aerosol cans may be classified as hazardous wastes for several reasons: the pressurized contents may explode when heated; the propellant may be ignitable or toxic; or the product itself may be ignitable, corrosive or toxic.

Fact Sheet: SB 1158 Designates Aerosol Cans as Universal Waste

For Additional Questions, Contact the Regulatory Assistance Office

Toll-Free in CA: 800-728-6942 or 800 72-TOXIC
Outside CA: 916-324-2439