Biennial Reports Information
If, after reading the section on DEFINITION OF A RCRA LARGE QUANTITY GENERATOR, you still feel your site may be exempt from filing the Biennial Report, you may file an Exemption Request using the 2019 Biennial Hazardous Waste Report Exemption Request Form. Note: This is a request only. DTSC will contact you if your request is denied.
Send your exemption by email or fax:
You may also mail your exemption directly to DTSC:
Department of Toxic Substances Control
Attn: Biennial Reports, MS 11-20
P.O. Box 806
Sacramento, CA 95812-0806
Department of Toxic Substances Control
Attn: Biennial Reports
1001 I Street, MS 11-20
Sacramento, CA 95814
Training Resources and Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions About the Biennial Report:
Purpose of the Biennial Report
DTSC and U.S. EPA have a common mission to protect human health and the environment, which they carry out by enforcing strict management standards for hazardous wastes, and gathering information about the generation, transportation and final disposition of hazardous waste in the state.
The federal and state hazardous waste regulations require certain federally-regulated (RCRA) hazardous waste generators, as well as, facilities that treat, store or dispose of RCRA hazardous waste, to report their hazardous waste activities biennially in odd-numbered calendar years. The information collected will:
- Provide the U.S. EPA and California with a view of current hazardous waste generation and waste management in the United States;
- Show trends and changes in waste management and quantity when compared to past years’ reports;
- Be summarized and provided to the public, primarily through publication of the National Biennial RCRA Hazardous Waste Report.
Definition of a RCRA Large Quantity Generator
You are a RCRA Large Quantity Generator and required to file a 2019 Biennial Report if your site:
- Generated 1,000 kilograms (kg; 2,200 pounds [lbs.]) or more of non-acute RCRA hazardous waste (including quantities imported by importer site) in a single month; or
- Generated in a single month or accumulated at any time 1 kg (2.2 lbs.) or more of any RCRA acute hazardous wastes listed in 40 CFR sections 261.31 or 261.33 or
- Generated or accumulated at any time more than 100 kg (220 lbs.) of any residue or contaminated soil, waste, or other debris resulting from the cleanup of a spill, into or on any land or water, of any RCRA acute hazardous waste listed in 40 CFR sections 261.31 or 261.33(e) or
- Treated, stored, or disposed of RCRA hazardous wastes on-site during 2019. (TSDF)
Examples: did you do one of the following?
- Became an LQG for one calendar month, even though you are a Small Quantity Generator (SQG), and generated excess amounts of RCRA or acute RCRA hazardous waste?
- Generated residue-contaminated soil containing acute RCRA hazardous wastes that made you become an LQG for one calendar month (even if you are an SQG or a Very Small Quantity Generator [VSQG])?
Then you must complete the 2019 Biennial Report.
Did you change your generator status?
- You’ll report your current hazardous waste generator status on the Site ID Form in Item 10.A.1 – Generator of Hazardous Waste – as of the date of submitting your 2019 Biennial Report. Your current status may be different from last year.
Are you a hazardous waste importer?
- All Hazardous Waste imported from a foreign country in 2019 must be counted in determining your generator status.
- This waste must be reported on the Waste Generation and Management Form (GM Form) or the Waste Received from Off-site Form (WR Form) in your 2019 Biennial Report.
Past Biennial Report Cycles
2017 Biennial Report
THE 2017 BIENNIAL REPORT CYCLE HAS CLOSED.
California required electronic filing of your 2017 Biennial Report using the DTSC Waste Reporting System (WRS). If you have any questions or would like a .pdf version of your Biennial Report mailed to you, please contact us at BRSStaff@dtsc.ca.gov.
2015 Biennial Report
THE 2015 BIENNIAL REPORT CYCLE HAS CLOSED.
- DTSC used the EasiTrak reporting software, which is no longer available. If you require a copy of your 2015 Biennial Report filing, please contact us at BRSStaff@dtsc.ca.gov.
Annual/Biennial Report Links
Hazardous Waste Links
- Hazardous Waste Home
- Certified Appliance Recycler (CAR) Program
- Electronic Waste (E-Waste)
- Facilities (TSDFs)
- Hazardous Waste ID Numbers
- Hazardous Waste Manifests
- Hazardous Waste Tracking System
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Land Use Restriction Sites
- Metal Recycling
- Universal Waste
- Form 1358
- California Hazardous Waste Codes
Hazardous Waste Related Links
- Annual/Biennial Reports
- Emergency Response Program
- Export-Import Standards
- Fact Sheets & Publications
- Find a Registered Hazardous Waste Transporter
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Hazardous Waste Policies & Procedures
- Hazardous Waste Project Documents
- Kettleman Hills Landfill
- Office of Criminal Investigations
- Regulatory Assistance Office
- Report an Environmental Concern
- Retail Waste