Voluntary Agreements Quick Reference Guide
Types of Voluntary Oversight Agreements Offered by DTSC
Applies to most properties and parties and used for limited and broad project scopes. See new template.
For limited consultation and discussion with DTSC. DTSC is not able to make regulatory decisions under a Reimbursement Agreement.
Agreement where language designed for specific needs of local government agencies.
Provides limited liability protection for a bona fide purchaser, bona fide prospective purchaser, innocent land owner, contiguous property owner, or a ground tenant of a property if specific eligibility criteria are.
Provides limited liability protection and “covenant not to sue” to a prospective purchaser of a property if specific eligibility criteria are met.
Requesting brownfields oversight is simple:
- Apply: Request for Lead Agency Oversight Application – Submittal of the application is your agreement to pay costs incurred during the agreement negotiation.
- Coordinate: As per the 2005 Memorandum of Agreement between DTSC, the State Water Resources Control Board and the Regional Water Quality Control Boards the agencies will work together to determine the lead regulatory agency.
- Negotiate: When DTSC is the Lead Agency, an agreement is developed, which includes site-specific details, a scope of work, and an estimate of DTSC’s charges. An opportunity to review the draft agreement is provided.
- Sign: Once the agreement is signed, your environmental consultant will work with DTSC’s team of professionals to ensure the future development is safe.
- Pay: An advance payment is required when the Agreement is executed.
- Meet: The DTSC Project Manager reviews property information, and holds a scoping meeting to discuss schedule, tasks, regulatory requirements, and goals.
- Technical Work: DTSC technical experts review documents provided by your consultant, provide oversight of field work, perform public engagement activities, and coordinate other tasks as needed. Activities will vary from property to property.
- Invoice: DTSC’s accounting office sends invoices of DTSC’s charges on a quarterly basis.
For more information, contact Maryam.Tasnif-Abbasi@dtsc.ca.gov.
This document is intended to be guidance only and it does not supersede or implement laws or regulations. The information in this advisory is intended solely as guidance and as educational reference material and should not be considered enforceable or regulatory in nature.